Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Responsibility makes me mean

They say that leadership can be applied in so many ways, that you can be responsible in various ways. For two months now that I had been in the position entrusted on me, I could honestly say and admit that I am dissatisfied with my work. I don't think I've lived up to the standards expected of me.

I could go on and rationalize that I did my best, because I truly did. But then, I could also admit to myself that the best I could give is still not enough to reach the standard I have placed on my self.

I am a goal oriented person and I when I set myself to do something, I expect and force myself to reach it. I only want the best for the student publication and I had been trying very hard to give the best that I can to reach the standard I set for myself.

In my dream of improving, not just the stories that we publish but, the attitude of the writers as well, I am starting to see myself as a tyrant whose only worth in life is to make the life of the writers miserable. I grip them so hard because I know that even if they think that they are already giving their best for the publication, they could still do more.

In my attempt to reach the standard I set for myself and give justice to the responsibilty given to me, I hurt people in the process. I know that, I am aware but I can't help it.

I don't want to hurt any of them because, unbelievable it may seen, all of them are important part of my life that I had grown to love and treasure.

I tried being good, a bit lenient, understanding every excuse, giving them more time to accomplish their tasks. But it doesn't work. I realized that they had grown so familiar with me that sometimes they already tend to forget that even though we are friends, I still have the authority over them.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like this authority and I am never happy reprimanding the writers.

I never wanted to become an editor. That is the truth written in my heart. I never wanted the responsibility that goes with it but I had been chosen and so, I have to stand by the responsibility given to me. No matter what the people around me will say, deep inside me I still believe that I am not worthy of the position because I still have to know more. I lack the skills, the knowledge and the patience.

Responsibility and leadership are the two most important values in my life. When a position is given to me, I take it seriously. I take it seriously not to impress the people around me but to reach the goals I had set for myself, live up to what is expected of me and prove to myself that I can actually do it. Every leadership position is a great challenge to me because I had always been a failure in it. I never see myself as a leader, I am too perfectionist to be one.

For the past months now I had tried, and failed, to be more relax with the writers. I consider them my equal and I don't relish the idea of reprimanding any of them because of it. I know I am not greater or better than them despite the position given to me. I think I only snagged it because of my seniority, there are others who are fitted for the job but were not chosen only because they are new.

I tried then and again to be more understanding yet everytime I see them sitting idly around the office or dating while their articles still undone, my temper would rise. I pity those who do their works on time because they are being reprimanded with the others.

I am a mean person and I know it. I hate leadership positions because it makes me meaner and nastier. When I see those under my care fail, I know I have failed too. I hate failures, so I drive them really hard to avoid it.

But no matter how much I try to become a good leader or a good editor, I know I could never be one. I could just go on and keep on trying and failing all over again. Leadership only makes me mean and hurt people around me even if I never wanted to.

I know, I am the most hated person in the office. I know I drive them mad everytime I demand that they pass their articles and gie them strikes when they pass it after the deadline. I know and could more than imagine what they are saying behind my back. I know they resented me for being so demanding and for always reprimanding them. I know but I can't do anything about it because I have to.

I can't just sit in a corner and wait for them to move. I can't just smile at them and tell them its okay everytime they tell me that they cannot pass their articles because if I do, we could never publish at all. I want them to be responsible and know the importance of their works. I want them to have passion in their write-ups. I want them to be the best journalists. I want them to be disciplined people because I don't want them to be like me.




0 blabblers:

check ur page rank.

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

 

♥AIAN-ism © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates