Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mindanao: What its not

Whenever somebody mentions the word Mindanao, what usually comes to mind is war, insurgency, poverty, and chaos as usually seen and heard on the news. But Mindanao is not all that.

I had been here for a month now and I had never been harassed by anybody contrary to what I had experience in the first few days fo my stay in the city of gentle people--Dumaguete. Yes, the insurgency is a problem in Mindanao but it should never overshadow the many other qualities of the place.It is not a battlefield like what I had envisioned it to be, in fact, it was quite the opposite of what I had envisioned.

I had been to so many places and had met a lot of people but nowhere have I experienced hospitality as great as the one given to us by the people of this region.Yes, you may rationalize that where I am now does not give the whole picture of Mindanao but I say that this only proves that the place is not as bad as it has been made to look.

This region may not give the general picture of Mindanao but it proves that Mindanao is a land of a thousand possibilities and a region that offers adventures you can only imagine.What this region doesn't have are the arrogant government officials that plagues the province where I came from.

What it does have are untapped and unexploited resources, diverse culture, hospitable and friendly people, admirable humility and a treasure that could pay the debts of the nation.But I think, its better that Mindanao stays this way.

Its only with negative publicity that they could maintain the richness of their culture and keep away from the greedy hands of industrialists.Mindanao, truly, is the land of promise.

0 blabblers:

check ur page rank.

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

 

♥AIAN-ism © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates